Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Lighthouse and Pumpkins

Sometimes things can just be so frustrating. I really want to share with you all what has been going on in our life but I'm so afraid of jinxing things. I've had things that I've really wanted to go a certain way in the past and I went around telling everybody about it. But then big surprise things didn't work out. So this time I'm keeping it a secret.

In other news, I finally got our desktop computer set up while we were on vacation and have loaded Creative Suite 3 to it. Yes, I know it isn't the most up-to-date version of Adobe CS but it was free. I can always buy the upgrade package. Not cheap by any means but $600 for an upgrade is a whole lot cheaper than the $1,800 for buying it brand new. For those who might not know what Adobe CS is, it is the best program for a Graphic Artist. Mine is the Design Standard version which includes Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. Photoshop is one of the best programs for editing photos and can also be used to design ads. InDesign is a page layout program that is great for creating mutli-page files. Examples: Newsletters, Magazines and even proposals. The program I am least familiar with is Illustrator. I've used it to edit PDFs but you can't do that on every PDF. It only works on files that aren't locked. One of the main uses that I know of for Illustrator is creating logos. Illustrator can create vector art. What is the benefit of vector art? If you try making a logo in Photoshop and save it as a jpeg, you will only be able to resize the file so much before the image gets blurry and pixelated. With vector art you can blow the image up huge and not have to worry. I think that covers most of that without getting too technical.

While on vacation we decided to visit Block Island, RI. This is our second trip there. We went last year and rented bikes so we could visit the Southern lighthouse. However, after that exhausting trip we were too tired to head up to the Northern Light. So the plan this year was to visit Northern Light. Luckily, my Mother-in-Law and her boyfriend got a voucher for a 2 hour 2 person moped rental that they weren't going to use. We took pictures of us on the moped separately but I rode behind Andrew.

 

After making the trip on the moped I'm glad we had that instead of bikes. It was quite a ride and I don't think we could have handled pedalling all the way on bikes.

This is the view from the parking lot looking at Northern Light and the path we needed to walk.

The moped was a blast! The walk from the parking lot to the Northern Light was exhausting. It was all through sand and took probably a half hour one way. But it was so worth it.

Northern Light on Block Island

Front of Northern Light

Andrew & I - That's right my man has long arms and can take awesome photos of us!

On the ferry trip home, one of the water jets on the boat sucked up the buoy of a lobster pot and we were stuck for 20 minutes or so while we waited for them to clear the jet. But we didn't mind too much because we were watching the Olympics instead.


Then last weekend, Andrew and I decided to make a trip to HomeGoods to see what they had on Clearance for bedroom sheets. Why HomeGoods well that is where we got some of our other sheet sets came from. They were Andrew's before we moved in together. Something some of you may not know is Andrew's first job was at HomeGoods. He worked there for 5 years. Well while we were there I decided to take a few pictures of things I liked and wished we could have bought.


Beautiful Gray Cake Stand

I almost bought this cake stand. It was only $12.99. It was so pretty but I decided not to. Then I found these adorable pumpkins. The white crackle finish one was $12.99 and the ORB (Oil Rubbed Bronze) one was only like $9. Again I really wanted them but decided to pass. I loved how the leaf and stem on the white pumpkin matched the second one. The only thing that would have made it better was if the ORB'ed pumpkin was smaller than the white one.



The following pictures were from a HomeGoods trip a few months ago. I just never got around to downloading them off my phone.


I love almost anything with Giraffes. I considered buying this cute statue but I didn't like how the heads were made of plastic and just kind of stuck on there.


Who doesn't love a giant ceramic horse head that looks like the knight from a chess set? This guy was at least a foot tall, if not bigger.



And lastly, this cabinet was just gorgeous. The wood was nice and dark and looked slightly aged. Of course it would be way more than any shopping budget that we would ever have. I also like the trunks in front of it with burlap like material on them and leather handles.

Oh and half of the post had no pictures because blogger wouldn't load my files anymore for some reason. I tried following the troubleshooting suggestions but that didn't work so I switched browsers. I started writing this post in Internet Explorer because that was the only browser on our new desktop. But I prefer Google Chrome or FireFox, so I downloaded Chrome and now it works fine. Stupid Internet Explorer.

Anybody else take a great trip lately? Or maybe you have done some window shopping too.

No comments:

Post a Comment