Thursday, October 4, 2012

Life's Little Surprises - The Bad Kind

So just when everything seems to be going our way - Life decides to throw a few wrenches into the plans.

We were originally under contract to close on the Pearl on October 5th. However, the appraiser was taking his sweet time getting the appraisal to us. Well the appraiser got back to us and as you know from this post we had a little issue with a leaky roof.

Well right before we heard from the appraiser, my husband called me with some super sucky news. He lost his job!

That's right. His company had decided to change some things up and they were eliminating some positions. Lucky us, his position was one of them. So now we had to figure out what to do. We knew the bank wouldn't lend us the money without both of us having a job. There was a slight chance that if he found a new job that paid the same or more that we could still get the loan, but then he had to have 30 days of pay stubs for the bank to approve the loan.

Then the seller's agent said we could bring out a licensed roofer to get the roof certified. Yeah so I called a roofer - they wanted $250 to come out and certify the roof. Well the problem with that is we didn't want to spend anymore money on a house we might not end up being able to buy. We had no idea how long it was going to take to find my husband a job. Since the roof had already leaked once it was unlikely the roofer would certify it, which means the roof would need to be fixed. From what we know about the roof it would probably end up being a totally strip and re-roof job. We can't afford to add that onto the purchase price and we highly doubted that the bank would pay for it.

So we had a big decision to make. Keep fighting to buy this house or walk away due to job loss and get our deposit back. We chose the later. I won't lie, I was really upset but it is probably for the best. There is a chance that Andrew will find a job in the complete opposite direction from where his old job was located, which would then make it pointless to buy this house. Also, Andrew may find a job that pays better, which then means we could buy a nicer house that would need less work.

For now we're staying in our current apartment and maybe if we are lucky we can start house hunting again next year. Hopefully the market will still be buyer friendly and the rates will still be low.

I really wanted to make sure we take a moment to thank all our friends and family who have been very supportive in this tough time. You all have been great and we don't know what we would do without you.

1 comment: